Michael Hogarth, MD, FACP, FACMI
Professor - Department of Medicine, UC San Diego School of Medicine
Dr. Hogarth is a board-certified Internist and biomedical informatics faculty who serves as UC San Diego Health’s Clinical Research Information Officer (CRIO). In that role, he leads efforts to optimize the use of current technology and systems to support clinical research. Dr. Hogarth has been the lead informaticist for several large-scale informatics initiatives. These include the Athena Breast Health Network (http://www.athenacarenetwork.org), the I-SPY2 adaptive breast cancer trial (http://www.ispytrials.org), and the PCORI funded WISDOM trial. Dr. Hogarth has also been a national leader in re-engineering vital statistics infrastructure. His team designed, developed, and continues to manage the California Integrated Vital Records System (CalIVRS), a system used by 15,000 users in California to electronically process over 750,000 annual civil registration events (birth, death, fetal death). It is the most actively used electronic vital records system in the US. His team has also developed electronic vital statistics systems for the state of Maryland.
- Publications: 5 peer-reviewed articles, 4 peer-reviewed abstracts
- Public Health Informatics: Completed a 2-year effort to design and build a state-of-the art “next generation” Electronic Death Registration System for California (CA-EDRS). The system will be deployed for statewide use across California in August 2021.
- Research Informatics: Successfully launched a novel Secure Research Data Cloud on Amazon Web Services.
- Awards: UCSD 2021 Integrity Champion Award.
- Research in the News: UC San Diego Health Implements an Artificial Intelligence Imaging Model in 10 days — https://aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/uc-san-diego-health