Dr. Morris is a Clinical Professor in the Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine and Division of Family Medicine, Department of Family Medicine and Public Health at UC, San Diego. He completed medical school at University of British Columbia, a Masters of Public Health at the Harvard School of Public Health in Quantitative Methods, where he majored in analytical methods for epidemiology and clinical research. He trained in Preventive Medicine (2004-5) and in STD Epidemiology (2005-6) at UCSF/UC Berkeley. He did a Fellowship in STD Control at the San Francisco Department of Public Health and the California Department of Public Health. His scientific expertise lies in the prevention, diagnosis, pathogenesis and treatment of infectious diseases especially HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
- Was an author on eight peer reviewed articles so far in 2020, including the New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet Infectious Diseases, and Clinical Infectious Diseases.
- Director of the California Collaborative Treatment Group – current studies include PrEP Adherence in Transgender Individuals (CHRP funded), rollover Study of Transgender Individuals on PrEP to Descovy (Gilead Sciences funded), Kidney function in transgender individuals on PrEP (CHRP). Development of adherence support for long acting PrEP (Merck funded).
- Study site for DISCOVER study (Gilead Sciences).
- Deputy Director for STAR STI Clinical Trial Group – Studies included Lactin-V for Bacterial Vaginosis, use of a molecular assay to detect ciprofloxacin sensitivity in gonorrhea infections, pivotal study of a point of care nucleic acid device to detect gonorrhea, chlamydia and trichomonas in women, whole genome sequencing of gonorrhea isolates from each continent for the prediction of antimicrobial resistance (all NIH funded).
- Deputy Director Alpha Stem Cell Clinic – studies include a gene therapy for the treatment of cystinosis, enrollment of COVID convalescent plasma donors for COVID treatment (all CIRM funded).
- Taught in the following courses:
- CLRE 256 – MAS in Clinical Research
- CLRE 250 – MAS in Clinical Research
- CLRE 237 – MAS in Clinical Research
- FPM 426 – School of Medicine
- Primary Care 401 – School of Medicine
- Chaired thesis committees for the MAS in Clinical Research